08 Oct DON’T DRIVE DISTRACTED!
The most frequent distracted drivers are from ages 35-39 and 65+
The average text takes 4 seconds, in that amount of time at 45 mph you have covered 264 feet!
A recent study by the VA Tech Transportation Institute shows that 80 percent of all crashes and 65 percent of all near-crashes are the result of driver inattention.
The top five driver distractions last year were, in order:
- Drivers not having their eyes on the road
- Looking at a roadside incident
- Cell phone use
- Passenger distractions
There are 3 basic types of distractions: Texting encompasses all three!
- Manual distraction: taking your hands off the wheel
- Visual distraction: taking your eyes off the road
- Cognitive: your mind is preoccupied with something besides driving.